Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fruit Leathers

I try really hard not to buy processed food for my kids. I just don't think it healthy and strongly feel its contributing to a lot of the health issues Americans are facing. Now I am far from perfect. I give in at the grocery store and grab a bag of Cheetos and give it to my kids just to keep them busy so I can finish shopping. The point is I do try.

Its also really hard because my kids will hold out for the junk food. When I say that I mean they will skip entire meals waiting for me to offer animal cracker and then they will eat the entire box. I have over time learned we just can't have that kind of stuff in our house. I saw this recipe and thought hey I think they might eat these. So far Bella loves them and I am still working on getting Luke to try em.

Ingredients:
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Water
  • Lemon Juice
  • Spices (such as cinnamon and nutmeg (optional))
  1. Cut up fruit (remove core/pit). Place it in pan with 1/2 C of water for ever 4 C of fruit. Simmer covered until tender.
  2. Put in blender and blend up until smooth. Add in lemon juice and spices until its the desired taste
  3. Use a rimmed baking sheet spray with cooking spray cover in plastic wrap.
  4. Pour fruit mixture on 1/8-1/4 in thick (make sure none of the plastic wrap overlaps fruit or it won't dry out)
  5. Put in over at 150 degrees (I did 170 cause mine wouldn't go that low and it was fine) bake until its firm to the touch and not sticky (took about 14hours for mine over night is good)
Make sure the plastic wrap doesn't touch the over rack.

At first I rolled them up in plastic wrap but that was taking to long so I just cut them up on the plastic they baked in, stacked them, and put them in a zip lock bag. I think they turned out great.

1 comment:

Becky Sorenson said...

You are such a great mom! I'm going to have to try some of your recipes. They all look healthy and so good too.