Sunday, December 15, 2013

Our homeschooling method

I get a lot of questions and odd looks when I try to explain how we do homeschool in our home. Its not the traditional setting. I recently found the blog post from another mom who homeschools and it so closely mirrors my method that I thought I would post it here for anyone interested in how a day happens in our home. Here is the link romthemrs.blogspot.com/2013/09/real-life-learning-part-1.html

Originally we did a more traditional scheduled homeschool with a set curriculum and schedule. It flat out didn't work for us. No one was happy and no one was really retaining any knowledge.

We do a more child led hands on experiences now, I am there to support and help them explore their interests. I watch my kids now. I watch them love learning and experiencing things. Going from one subject, topic or skill and learning it and moving onto something else that is new and exciting. I watch Luke and Bella being best friends and learning to work out there differences while teaching each other things. I watch Luke read to Royce and teach him things he didn't know or Bella share her figure paints even though the babies mix the colors. I get inspired, we get creative, I teach my children and learn new things at the same time. Its wonderful, its joyful, sometimes its hard and I get burned out, we bounce back and we have fun and I become a better mother and teacher.  It is rewarding and tenderly joyful at times and it's one of the best choices I have made for our family.

No comments: