Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Rockwell Mckay Mortensen

Born at 1:30pm June 12th. Weighs in at exactly 10lbs

Our sweet baby boy joined our family yesterday. I'm so happy he is here he was born at 42weeks and 1 day pregnant. I had pretty much convinced myself by that point he was never going to come out. In fact I told James I might be the first woman in history not to give birth to her baby. Lol. Here's his birth story.

On the night before Rocky was born Royce said a prayer that he would be born soon. It was very sweet. That night I couldn't sleep I was having some worries about being over due. The next morning after finally getting some rest I woke up to a small amount of bloody show and contractions ever 5 minutes or so, but since this is fairly common for me the last month I just went about business as usual. I had the kids help me with some landscaping and then my good friend Bonnie came over and visited with me a while. The school was having there summer lunch program so we loaded the kids up and walked over there for them to eat. There were quite a few ladies and there that I knew so we all Sat visiting while the kids ate lunch. I stood up to gather the trash and throw it away and as I did I heard a small pop and felt a gush of liquid run down my leg. I turned to Bonnie and said "I think my water just broke". That was at noon. Of course everyone got really excited and I decided I should gather the kids and walk home. Bonnie called James and let him know what was going on and he came and picked up the kids and I walked home with the stroller. When I got home i was still having regular contractions every 5 mins or so but they were a little stronger. I straightened up the house a bit while James made arrangements for the kiddos. He laid Jonah down for a nap. Bella, Jesse, and Shiloh went to Bonnies. And Luke and Royce went to Julia's house. James took the rest of the day off work.

I decided to get a bath ready turn on my relaxation cds and get stuff ready for baby. I have no idea what the time table was but he was born at approx 1:30pm so an 1.5 hrs from when my water broke. I always joke that I'm a sprinter not a marathoner when it come to labor. My contraction were getting stronger and so I decided to get in the bath I told James it would probably be a 3 hours. 

I was in the bath maybe 20 mins and feeling ok but then the contractions got stronger and James came into check on me. I told him we had like 30 mins but I just wanted to be alone. So he left but apparently stayed by the door. I had 4 or 5 really hard uncomfortable contractions that I really had to focus on relaxing through cause I really wanted to skwirm and move around but I knew I had to be going into transition and relaxing would make things easier. I felt my cervix a couple times and could feel babies head and me dilating. The first urge I had to push I was ready for it and it felt good to push it relieved the pressure of the contractions. I was laying an my back and could feel Rockies head wrinkling up so I knew he was coming down so I pushed with as much effort as I could. I realized at this point if I got up in a squat position gravity might help and I wanted it over as soon as possible. So I tried to get in that position and after 3 or four contractions his head finally popped out and I called for James. Luckily he was waiting by the door and had heard me pushing. The next contraction came and baby didn't budge and we both realized his shoulders were stuck so I immediately flipped onto my hands and knees which is suppose to give baby more room to come out and during the next contraction his one shoulder slid out just a little. Just enough for James to get under his arm and pull one arm out than the other. And he came out along with a huge gush of bloody amniotic fluid. That was slightly alarming. I guess my placenta started detaching while i was giving birth. James held the baby and I got up in a seated position and the placenta was born. The bath was full of bloody water and blood clots. James took Rockie tied off and cut his cord bundled him up and then helped me shower off and get to the bed where he applied pressure to my uterus to slow the bleeding. Everything worked out and everyone is happy and healthy but it was scarier than our other home births. Jonah woke up from his nap to find he was a big brother.

We are so grateful for our little man and that him and I are doing well. He has brought so much joy into our home and he is beloved by all. James planted the placenta with our willow tree so it will forever be Rockies willow tree. I am already so in love with this little boy.


No comments: